Veganism gaining popularity
Veganism is a growing movement throughout the world, particularly in France, where this lifestyle is becoming more and more popular and gaining more followers. Having a diet based on vegan foods can help you be healthier as an individual, protect the planet, and save many animals from confinement, mutilation and other abuse on the farm, and a violent death at the slaughterhouse can also be very easily avoided.
It is extremely simple to make meals without animal products, which are healthy and delicious. In order to obtain optimal nutrition, the ideal method is to favor a variety of dishes and foods. Here is a checklist of some essential foods created by Nadine Gourkow that are good to have in stock in your vegan pantry.
As for the ingredients that are contained within the fridge and in the freezer the bare essentials for towards a vegan diet is:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables such as lettuce, spinach leaves, peppers, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplants, mushrooms, and more.
- Fresh seasonal fruit, or compote, purée and jam
- Soy milk, almond, coconut, hazelnut, which must usually be contained within a pantry but must be refrigerated once opened. These types of milk are much healthier than even cow or goat milk and prevent these animals from being repeatedly inseminated and having their offspring removed so that the milk intended for it is bottled.
- Vegetable creams for cooking (soy, coconut, oats …), Sojami cream.
- Vegetable yogurts: soy, coconut, almond …
- Vegan butter (made with sunflower or soy), vegetable cheeses (prepared or homemade cashew nuts)
- Vegetable ice creams, made from soy or almond milk, sorbets …
As for the ingredients that are held in the cupboard they mainly consist of fruits and vegetables
- Canned vegetables such as tomatoes, corn, artichoke hearts, peas, beans, legumes chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, white and more
- Ratatouille, soups and other prepared vegetable dishes, tinned or in cartons
- Onions, garlic, shallots
- Dried fruits or canned food
Cereals and pasta
- Flakes oats, barley … (for breakfast or desserts)
- Rice (complete, long grain, basmati, wild or arborio for risottos …)
- Couscous, semolina, polenta Pasta (whole wheat, quinoa, buckwheat, spelled)
- Noodles and rice vermicelli, lasagna leaves
These are some basic ingredients when it comes to making your own vegan meal as per Nadine.