A patent is a form of IP protection. With the passage of time, the patent filing procedure has also evolved. Patent Registration in India has evolved from pen and paper registration method to online method. Upholding the principles of transparency and user-friendly in building confidence among stakeholders, Indian Patent Office has developed the e-filing system so as to cover comprehensive online filing for patents. The Indian Patent Office offers the facility to file a Patent application online from the native place of the applicant through e-filing.
Salient features of comprehensive online patent registration in India services include,
- A web-based filing system
- Dual way login i.e. digital signature and password-based regeneration procedure
- Provision for filling of all entries including the ones that are not filed online
- Proper validations with the Indian Patent database
- Facility to upgrade the digital signatures
- Improved procedures are implemented by the Indian Patent Office to minimize transaction errors
The basic requirements for online patent registration in India are as follows,
- An operating system with Microsoft Windows XP.
- A web browser should be Internet Explorer 6 and above.
- A digital signature is to be kept ready before filing the application.
- Payment gateway options include Net banking (All major banks), Debit card (All major Banks), Credit card (VISA and MASTER card)
For online application, the applicant/ agent must have a digital signature. The steps to be followed in e-filing of a patent application is as follows,
- For using online patent application portal, the applicant/agent has to register as a new user and create a login ID and password on the Patent office portal.
- After the patent registration process in India, the applicant/ agent is required to log in to the e-portal and download the Client software, which is made available by the Patent office for creating the application offline.
- The applicant has to then generate an XML file using Client Software and complete the application. Another XML file is to be created for digital signature.
- After creating both the XML files, the applicant is required to log in to the portal and then upload the files on Indian Patent server. However, the documents like power of attorney, assignments, certified copies, etc are required to be submitted in original at the appropriate Patent offices.
- On uploading all the required documents, patent application number, date and time of application and CBR (Cash Book Receipt) receipt gets generated in the software immediately.
- Then the fees for the processing the application is to be paid through electronic fee transaction. On successful electronic fee transfer, acknowledgement details will be generated, which is to be preserved for further use. The applicant can view the all the payment transactions under the payment history option available on the portal.
- Application status should be reviewed on regular bases.
This is the complete procedure for filing the patent registration process in India. This facility will not only help in saving time but also in protecting the priority date of application which will in turn help in keeping up with the time frame for patent application. This is a facility that can be used by the applicant himself or even by an agent authorized by the applicant. Company Vakil is a leading firm that assists the applicants in e-filing the patent application.